West Coast update

Over the past five and a half weeks I have been surveying harbour seal haul outs along the East Kintyre coastline north of Campbeltown – I thought it was about time I checked in with a blog post.

One of the haul outs I have been surveying is immediately outside my accommodation and the seals are present in the area pretty much all day – hauling out at low tide and at high tide. At high tide, they haul out on a rough rocky breakwater only a few metres from the shore. Due to the proximity of the seals, I am able to get some high quality photographs to help with identifying the seals – see the following photograph showing the seals hauling out at high tide (note the poor injured individual second from the front).

kintyre_1
Seals hauling out at Kintyre

The northernmost haul out has seen the highest number of harbour seals – I counted 66 seals on one visit. The southernmost haul out is only exposed when the tides are particularly low but it was here that I been observing the largest number of obviously pregnant seals.

As pupping season seemed to have started everywhere but here, I was keen to spot my first pup of the season. As the tide was low enough today, I decided to get up early and venture to the southernmost site for low tide this morning. My early morning was well worthwhile as I did indeed observe my first pup of the season (see cute photograph of mum and pup).  Hurrah!

kintyre_2
First mum and pup pair spotted at Kintyre!

Written by Craig